Human can become infected with parasites when eating an drinking contaminated foods and drinks.
Eating undercooked meat from infected animals is the main cause of tapeworm infection in people.
Although tapeworms in humans usually cause few symptoms and are easily treated, they can sometimes cause serious, life-threatening problems.
That’s why it’s important to recognize the symptoms and know how to protect yourself and your family.
Tapeworm eggs generally enter the human host from animals through ingested food, especially raw or under cooked meat.
Humans can also become infected if there is contact with animal stools or contaminated water.
One rare case of a Texan woman made medical experts in awe when she complained that she’s suffering from severe headaches for many months, only to find out that her brains was already infected by tapeworms.
Yadira Rostro first started to notice bad headaches nine months ago and finally sought medical help after they continued to get worse.
They immediately operated her to remove the parasites and took out a total of 8 tapeworm eggs from her brain.
Neurosurgeon Richard Meyrat believed that the 31-year-old picked up the tapeworms on a trip to Mexico two years ago, which are common in food contaminated with fecal matter.
These parasites usually leave their eggs in the digestive tracts of their hosts and are excreted in feces in a few days.
But somehow the worm sacs made their way through her bloodstream into in her brain, and feed on her blood supply.
With Yadira’s permission, Methodist Dallas Medical Center shared video of doctors extracting the larvae earlier this month.Neurosurgeon Richard Meyrat explained.
“They looked a little bit like eggs, and they have a clear sac,” he said. “And inside it, a small tapeworm.”
Yadira is expected to make a full recovery however, she doesn’t want to view the footage from her surgery which is very understandable.